[Sca-cooks] Almond Milk

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 20 17:52:10 PDT 2004

I agree - 1 pound of shelled almonds=1 gallon almond milk.  As for the almond cream, you get a pretty large return, the 'whey' that drains isn't as much as 25% as I recall.
Christianna

>I've been doing my reading and  I've found that starting with a pound of
almonds will eventually yield about  2 gallons of almond milk.  I assume
this means a pound of unshelled,  blanched almonds, correct?  What if I were
to start with pre-ground almond  meal, which can be had at the bulk food
store?  Is this doable and how much  should I expect to start with? <> Also,
when boiling down the almond milk into almond cream (to strain into the
almond custard/cheese), about how much does one end with. <

Dear Helena,
 From my experience a pound of almonds {with skins, that will have to be
removed} will  yield one gallon of almond milk.    When I have wanted
"cream,"  depending on the thickness, I use less liquid.  so a "half & half"
will be  a pound of almonds used to make 2 quarts of "cream."    Moreover,
depending on the coarseness of the meal,  will determine how fine a sieve
you will need.  I use my blender or cuisenart, to chop & grind the almonds
adding water {or milk} to make the "slurry" that I then sieve for almond
milk.   Does that help?

Caointiarn