[Sca-cooks] German Venison Pepper Stew

Lisa silvina at allegiance.tv
Thu Sep 23 08:09:41 PDT 2004

Unfortunately it has been too many years since I have made it, although I
have put in a request for the recipe from my mother.  I can put in what I
remember and perhaps someone will recognise it?

I believe it takes approximately 5 lbs of venison, cut into 1" cubes... this
is marinated in a marinate containing 2 C (if I remember right) of red wine,
(I prefer to use something I'd drink myself rather than cooking wine) a
large onion cut into fairly large pieces, peppercorns, cloves and juniper
berries along with a few other spices that I can't remember off hand.  This
marinates for 12-24 hours, the longer the better.  After marinating, you
take a stew pan (2 quart or larger) and brown bacon in it for the fat
content (It calls for something else, similar to bacon, but bacon was an
acceptable mondern substitute.)  Then once the bacon is browned, you brown
the venison, basically searing it on each side.  Then you add one cup of the
marinade, after straining the large stuff out.  The stew must cook for at
leat an hour, longer if I remember right, and you add the rest of the
marinade over the cooking time.. It tends to cook down somewhat and be
fairly thick and is served over Spatzle.  This was from a German cookbook of
traditional recipes.

Lady Elizabeta of Rundel