[Sca-cooks] Period or no?

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 23 21:23:59 PDT 2004

On 23 Sep 2004, at 23:02, kattratt wrote:

> Uhmmm ok sorry if I am reading wrong here but aren't some pottages
> basicaly stew like?  I mean add a bit more liquid and it is a cream of
> whatever soup.... from what I read in De Nola, Pottage seems to mean
> moosh the hell out of it!!!

Some are, but many aren't.  De Nola uses "potaje" to describe stewed
meats in thickened sauces, but also porridge/frumenty-like dishes, and
reelatively thin sauces meant for serving over roasts, and brothy soups.
"Potaje de Fideos" is basically chicken-noodle soup (or cream of chicken
soup, if you add the optional milk).  In some pottages (like morteruelo), the
meat is well-mooshed, but in others it remains in distinct pieces (janete).
Pottage seems to be a fairly wide category of dishes.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net