[Sca-cooks] Period or no?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Sep 23 21:54:58 PDT 2004

Adamantius commented:
> That said, variations are fine, as long as we have a realistic view
> of what changes we made from the original process, and don't attempt
> to fool ourselves that what we've done is more than conjecture, at
> best. I do that a lot. I just get a little leery when I hear
> arguments like this one (or the great 'well, they _could_ have done
> it'), because they are sometimes [often] used as a sort of excuse for
> all kinds of weird stuff that doesnt get us any closer to
> understanding the craft of a medieval cook.
Okay, I just thought of an example that might help explain this. We've
talked about this item before on this list.

If I give you some basic instructions for a modern hamburger, Take a
bread roll. Slice it and put inside a patty of grilled, ground meat.
Top with some cheese and lettuce and feel free to make changes to suit
your taste.

Now, an Australian may likely add a slice of beetroot. But an American
is unlike to ever consider doing that. Does the beetroot taste good on
a hamburger? Maybe. I'm reserving judgment. But apparently the
Australians think it does. But if America and the hamburger recipe is
the equivalent of the period food item and its recipe and the
Australian is the modern modifying the period recipe, you can see how
difficult it is to guess correctly. Even for two cultures in the same
time, unless you go by a recipe. Much more difficult for two cultures
centuries apart.

Stefan
And I'm sure the Americans can come up with something on their
hamburgers and pizzas which the Australians, or the Europeans, would
never consider putting on there on their own.
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com