[Sca-cooks] Period or no?

DeeWolff at aol.com DeeWolff at aol.com
Thu Sep 23 21:21:40 PDT 2004

In a message dated 9/23/04 11:08:30 PM, kattratt at charter.net writes:

> BTW did anyone notice that The author himself pretty much gives folks
> carte blanche permission to screw around with the recipes?    It is at
> the end of the book and he states something to the effect of .... (No I
> am not going to look it up sorry...)

I just waded through about 90 recipes and while he does occasionally note
that you could add this instead of that and leave out this if you don't like it,
he is very specific about his ingredients and the substitutions you could add.

But bring the subject around again.   If you use a medieval recipe, and alter
it, just say you did.

Artists change paints for good reasons (arsenic comes to mind). Cooks could
too.

BUT!! Learn the proper way first. Learn to ride the bike before you pop the
"wheelie." And don't pass off your alterations as documentable....tell them
it's your REDACTION, based on the materials on hand.

Know why the original says what it does. Know what he was going for. Taste
what the original should have been like. Don't just settle for the substitutions
just because. Be able to explain and justify your substitutions.

Afterall, we do this for the learning experience don't we??

Andrea
**always seeking the more medieval way to do what we think we do every day**

"Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in
it."
Julia Child