[Sca-cooks] Period or no?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 24 04:56:51 PDT 2004

> Eeeehhh, yes, all that is true. The trouble is, the alterations we may
> see as perfectly reasonable and/or necessary aren't necessarily the
> same alterations a period cook would see as reasonable or necessary.
> We don't know what they did when they were being creative; we only
> have the recipes, more or less. Sure, it seems harmless enough to chop
> raw meat and brown it in a pan, even though the period recipe calls
> for parboiling before chopping... our meat is probably more tender
> than theirs. On the other hand, our medieval counterparts might have
> been concerned with any of several concerns we generally don't have to
> deal with, ranging from the flavor of adrenalin-laced game to an
> excess of hot, dry humors, so what seems like a perfectly logical
> alteration of the instruction set to us may be anathema to them.
>
> Now, before we introduce the straw man argument that invariably turns
> up in discussions on this, yes, it _is_ limiting, to some extent, to
> restrict ourselves to the ingredients and methods detailed in the
> recipes. Very true. On the other hand, when you're learning, say, to
> pilot a plane, you probably need to learn the great essentials of
> takeoff and landing before you learn that fun barrel roll or victory
> roll, and you probably want to learn from an actual, experienced
> pilot. This is essentially where our recipe corpus comes in.
>
> That said, variations are fine, as long as we have a realistic view of
> what changes we made from the original process, and don't attempt to
> fool ourselves that what we've done is more than conjecture, at best.
> I do that a lot. I just get a little leery when I hear arguments like
> this one (or the great 'well, they _could_ have done it'), because
> they are sometimes [often] used as a sort of excuse for all kinds of
> weird stuff that doesn't get us any closer to understanding the craft
> of a medieval cook.
>
> Adamantius

In fact, truth be told, I suspect most of us follow recipes exactly even
in modern cooking.  I know that when I first try a recipe, especially if
it's something where I want to see what the person who created the
recipe had in mind, I follow the recipe pretty much as written.
Recently I made a wonderful (reaching around, patting myself on the
back!) beef stew from a recipe I found in the latest Williams Sonoma
catalogue.  Now I've been making my own version of beef stew for
years...I just wanted to see how this one tasted.  I did make a couple
of changes to make it low carb/low fat...I used turnips instead of
potatoes and soy flour instead of white flour...and know that I have
already altered the taste.  But I even measured the
seasonings...something I almost never do with soups/stews/etc.  It was
wonderful and I'll probably continue to make it this way...though, come
to think about it, juniper berries might add a little depth to the
seasoning, she muses!

So it's perfectly reasonable to follow a recipe exactly the first time,
then, knowing that we're altering it, make some "additions" or
"subtractions" as we get more familiar with it.

Kiri