[Sca-cooks] Period or no?

Avraham haRofeh avrahamharofeh at herald.sca.org
Fri Sep 24 05:24:07 PDT 2004

> So it's perfectly reasonable to follow a recipe exactly the first time,
> then, knowing that we're altering it, make some "additions" or
> "subtractions" as we get more familiar with it.

The kicker there is that what we might consider a reasonable addition or
subtraction might be something that would never occur to a period cook -
either because the foodstuff wasn't available yet, or the technique, or it
simply "isn't done that way". You have to THINK like a medieval cook when
tinkering with a medieval recipe, or you run the risk of losing your
period-ness - and that's hard to do.

Reb Avraham haRofeh
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
Quarterly azure and argent, four mascles counterchanged
Random Tag: Any priest or shaman must be presumed guilty until proved innocent. - [Lazarus Long]