[Sca-cooks] Period or no?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Sep 24 08:00:45 PDT 2004

Also sprach Sandra Kisner:
>>>If I give you some basic instructions for a modern hamburger, Take
>>>a bread roll. Slice it and put inside a patty of grilled, ground
>>>meat. Top with some cheese and lettuce and feel free to make
>>>changes to suit your taste.
>>>
>>>Now, an Australian may likely add a slice of beetroot. But an
>>>American is unlike to ever consider doing that. Does the beetroot
>>>taste good on a hamburger? Maybe. I'm reserving judgment.
>>
>>I've never tried it in that context, but I figure it's just another
>>pickle. Some people might not even notice, if they weren't so busy
>>enjoying the culture shock aspect.
>>
>>>  But apparently the Australians think it does.
>>
>>And/or perhaps developed this tradition when cucumber pickles were
>>scarce, for whatever reason.
>
>This is actually yet another example of cultural assumptions; I've
>known about the Australian addition of beetroot to hamburgers for a
>long time, but never seen it myself.  It had never occurred to me
>that the beets might be pickled (most uses I make of beets aren't).
>Does anybody actually know from experience that they are (or
>aren't)?  Why not roasted/grilled like the meat patty?

By all means, that's an assumption on my part, and one to which I
attach no emotional involvement ;-).

Part of this assumption is based on the possibility that I may have
heard somebody mention it being pickled for hamburger use, and part
from a fair amount of beet-roasting experience. The vast majority of
beets I've seen roasted were roasted whole and unpeeled, then peeled
and sliced before use. It generally takes a lot longer than it does
to grill, broil, or saute a hamburger, which suggests to me
additional cooking equipment (say, an oven, or keeping your charcoal
or wood fire going a lot longer than you would otherwise) or some
amount of pre-prep, which seems like more trouble than most people
will go to. Because they're so full of sugar, I can't imagine them
being peeled, sliced and grilled from a raw state (they'd tend to
burn, stick, and break up, I think). This most likely brings us back
to some kind of canned, jarred, or other commercial product.

Adamantius
...who loves beets in all forms, with the complete and unequivocal
exception of Harvard Beets, which clearly illustrate the Puritan Work
Ethic: Work hard, become sufficiently wealthy so that there is
_always_ an alternative to Harvard Beets, which is a sign of God's
Favor, for which you are rewarded by never having to eat Harvard
Beets again. But keep them around anyway, just in case you fall out
of favor...

Holt, 07/29/04