[Sca-cooks] Period or no?

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Fri Sep 24 08:09:51 PDT 2004

>Part of this assumption is based on the possibility that I may have heard
>somebody mention it being pickled for hamburger use, and part from a fair
>amount of beet-roasting experience. The vast majority of beets I've seen
>roasted were roasted whole and unpeeled, then peeled and sliced before
>use. It generally takes a lot longer than it does to grill, broil, or
>saute a hamburger, which suggests to me additional cooking equipment (say,
>an oven, or keeping your charcoal or wood fire going a lot longer than you
>would otherwise) or some amount of pre-prep, which seems like more trouble
>than most people will go to. Because they're so full of sugar, I can't
>imagine them being peeled, sliced and grilled from a raw state (they'd
>tend to burn, stick, and break up, I think). This most likely brings us
>back to some kind of canned, jarred, or other commercial product.
>Adamantius

I must admit, the roasted bit I added at the end.  It doesn't really make
much sense, does it?  But I don't often buy canned beets, so I don't know
if they're all pickled, or if some are and some aren't.  After all,
cucumber pickles come in quite a variety.  I may just have to hunt down an
Aussie-style burger (though I can't afford to do the hunting in Oz).  They
don't look too bad, except for the pineapple.  I like pineapple, but in
combination with all the other stuff it might be a bit much.

Sandra