[Sca-cooks] Period or no?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Sep 24 08:21:40 PDT 2004

Also sprach Sandra Kisner:
>I must admit, the roasted bit I added at the end.  It doesn't really
>make much sense, does it?  But I don't often buy canned beets, so I
>don't know if they're all pickled, or if some are and some aren't.

My experience with pickled beets is that most or all of them are sold
in glass jars (they'd dissolve cans/tins), but there's probably a
small amount of acid (maybe citric or ascorbic) added to canned beets
to seal the bright red color, and which is added to quite an
astonishing amount of canned foods -- perhaps to help fight botulism.
Fresh roasted beets don't really have the kind of residual tartness
Master Drakey describes, at least not on their own.

>  After all, cucumber pickles come in quite a variety.  I may just
>have to hunt down an Aussie-style burger (though I can't afford to
>do the hunting in Oz).  They don't look too bad, except for the
>pineapple.  I like pineapple, but in combination with all the other
>stuff it might be a bit much.

The combination does sound a little... busy... as if the individual
ingredients would work to the detriment of the others...

Adamantius
Holt, 07/29/04