[Sca-cooks] Period or no?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Sep 24 09:28:33 PDT 2004

Also sprach Kathleen A Roberts:
>On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:47:23 -0400
>  "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
>>Also sprach Kirsten Houseknecht:
>>>1 what, if i may inquire, is a "Harvard Beet"?
>>
>>Harvard beets are boiled beets, sliced, diced, or shredded, in a
>>sauce made from their cooking liquid, thickened with cornstarch or
>>arrowroot, with a little butter swirled in.
>
>i add a pinch of sugar, a dash of powdered cloves and a small slurp
>of vinegar along with the butter and cornstarch.
>
>cailte

Yeah, that seems pretty consistent with the recipes I've looked at.
Mace or nutmeg might be good, too. I'm fully prepared to accept the
fact that there'll be variants that are quite good. Unfortunately the
Harvard Beets I've encountered have been commercial products that
have always resembled beets in a slightly sweet-and-sour,
vividly-colored glue.

Adamantius
Holt, 07/29/04