[Sca-cooks] Period or no?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 24 11:49:10 PDT 2004

Chass Brown wrote:

> Hmm I have yet to eat a beet that I like. I have tried alot of
> different ways.

Then you need to try the Lomdardy Tarts from Dining with William
Shakespeare (yes, I know that a lot of you think that it should be made
with the greens rather than the root...we had this discussion some time
ago).  I have fed that to dyed-in-the-wool beet haters who tried it
because I said it was good (kinda scarey, isn't it??).  They loved it!!

Take Beets, chop them small, and put to them grated bread and cheese,
and mingle them wel in the chopping, take a few Corrans, and a dish of
sweet Butter, & melt it then stir al these in the Butter, together with
three yolks of Eggs, Synamon, ginger, and sugar, and make your Tart as
large as you will, and fill it with the stuff, bake it and serve it in.

John Partridge, /The good Huswifes Handmaide for the Kitchen.

/1 lb. fresh young beets                                    The Pastry:
2 tbsp. brown sugar                                          2 cups
sifted unbleached flour
1 tsp. grated bread crumbs                                1 tsp salt
3/4 cup grated mild cheddar cheese                   3/4 cups cold butter
1/4 cup currants, parboiled                                1/2 cup cold
water
1/4 tsp. ginger                                                   1 egg,
separated.
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. egg yolks
4 tbsp. butter, melted.

Peel the beets and grate them into a mixing bowl.  Ad sugar and stir
until it melts.  Mix in bread crumbs, grated cheese, currants, spices
and egg yolks.  Then stir in the melted butter.  Cover and set aside
while you make the pastry.

Divide the dough into two parts, the part for the bottom crust a bit
larger than the top.  Roll out a piece large enough for the bottom and
fit it into the dish.  Then roll out a piece for the top.  Spread the
filling evenly in the dish and cover it with the top.  Seal the edges
and trim.  Punch fork holes in the crust and brish with egg white.  Bake
at 450 for 20 minutes, then lower the heat to350 and bake for 25 minutes
longer.  Serve slight warm.

It's wonderful...and even good when eaten cold.  We make them to take to
Pennsic as a lunch treat.

Kiri