[Sca-cooks] Grits

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Sep 24 13:06:35 PDT 2004

Also sprach Pat:
>  >Aye Grits go under the gravy.... and with butter and salt. I
>cringed the first time I made >them and a friend put sugar in it lol.
>
>When I was a teenager, my Yankee cousin (the J.A.P.) came down and
>spent the summer with us.  There was almost a case of familial
>murder when she scooped herself a helping of grits, and proceeded to
>glop a big spoonful of grape jelly on 'em.
>YUCK!!!!
>
>My recipe for quick-cooking (Not Old Fashioned and definitely NOT
>instant) grits:
>
>1 cup yellow quick cooking grits
>3 cups cold tap water
>1 teaspoon salt
>
>Place all three ingredients in a pan, bring to a rolling boil,
>reduce heat to low, cover, and allow to simmer for 15 minutes or
>longer, stirring occasionally.
>
>Most instructions tell you the ratio should be four to one, instead
>of three to one, and a much shorter cooking time, but I find that
>that makes a soupy, bland, undercooked, unreasonable facsimile.
>To this one may reasonably add butter, cheese, sausage gravy,
>red-eye gravy, or assorted other savory breakfast type things.  If
>one must consider it as a cereal, one may add cream and sugar,
>perhaps even some cinnamon.  However, Grape Jelly is NOT DONE!

I confess my most vivid association with grits (and one with which I
sympathize utterly) is the big grit scene in "My Cousin Vinny", in
which a witness's testimony on the timing of a murder he allegedly
witnessed is tripped up by his statement that the event in question
took five minutes, and occurred in the time it took his breakfast
(grits) to cook. "Were dese MAGIC grits? Are we ta assoom duh laws of
physics were tempararrily suspended in yaw kitchen while YAW grits
were cooking, when it takes the rest of duh whole grit-eatin world 20
minutes ta cook grits? Is it POSSIBLE you need to change yaw
testimony??? Huh??? Yuh honnuh, I got no maw use faw dis guy."

I like baked cheese grits myself... can you fry them, like you can
with sliced, cold cornmeal mush? It seems to me that that might make
grape jelly semi-viable.

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04