[Sca-cooks] Grits

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 24 12:47:49 PDT 2004

>Aye Grits go under the gravy.... and with butter and salt. I cringed the first time I made >them and a friend put sugar in it lol.

When I was a teenager, my Yankee cousin (the J.A.P.) came down and spent the summer with us.  There was almost a case of familial murder when she scooped herself a helping of grits, and proceeded to glop a big spoonful of grape jelly on 'em.
YUCK!!!!

My recipe for quick-cooking (Not Old Fashioned and definitely NOT instant) grits:

1 cup yellow quick cooking grits
3 cups cold tap water
1 teaspoon salt

Place all three ingredients in a pan, bring to a rolling boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and allow to simmer for 15 minutes or longer, stirring occasionally.

Most instructions tell you the ratio should be four to one, instead of three to one, and a much shorter cooking time, but I find that that makes a soupy, bland, undercooked, unreasonable facsimile.
To this one may reasonably add butter, cheese, sausage gravy, red-eye gravy, or assorted other savory breakfast type things.  If one must consider it as a cereal, one may add cream and sugar, perhaps even some cinnamon.  However, Grape Jelly is NOT DONE!

Pat Griffin
Lady Anne du Bosc
known as Mordonna the Cook
www.mordonnasplace.com