[Sca-cooks] Grits

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 24 11:58:24 PDT 2004

Michael Gunter wrote:

> Being raised by an Okie mother who was raised in the cotton patches I
> grew up on Southern food. Grits being very common. As I child I ate
> them mainly with butter and sugar. Later I ate them with the adults
> mixed into fried eggs.
>
> But I've also done some "fancy" things with grits. Possibly the fanciest
> I've ever done them is Carolina Shrimp Grits. It involved cooking the
> grits in cream and cheese. Then adding in grilled shrimp and herbs.
> Totally upperclass and dacadent.
>
> I've also had cold grits formed into patties and fried served with maple
> syrup.
>
> Much like polenta or other grain dishes, they are good eatin'.
>
> Gunthar

Yeah, I've had them fried and served with syrup...Mama used to do that
with leftover grits from the morning before.  But boy, oh boy..the
Carolina Shrimp Grits sound positively decadent and wonderful.  I just
may have to go off the diet long enough to try that!!  You don't happen
to have a recipe, do you?  Otherwise, I can use my imagination.

Kiri