[Sca-cooks] Period or no?

drakey2 at iinet.net.au drakey2 at iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 24 07:37:29 PDT 2004

> This is actually yet another example of cultural assumptions; I've known
> about the Australian addition of beetroot to hamburgers for a long time,
> but never seen it myself.  It had never occurred to me that the beets might
> be pickled (most uses I make of beets aren't).  Does anybody actually know
> from experience that they are (or aren't)?  Why not roasted/grilled like
> the meat patty?
>
> Sandra

As probably the only lochac people currently awake (it's 12:00am here), I'll
answer this one.

The beetroot used in hamburgers is invariably canned, sliced beetroot.  A nice
mix of sweet and faint tartness.  It's main purpose is to jump out of the
hamburger and stain your nice fresh shirt, it adds little flavour, but a bit of
a textual change...  I've NEVER seen it grilled/roasted.  Usually added after
cooking, when adding lettuce and such...

Canned, sliced, cold beetroot here always seems to appear at the standard
aussie BBQ either on it's own or your favourite Aunty's salad, no one claims to
enjoy it, but it always gets eaten...

I assume you chaps know that a hamburger with the lot here usually includes
onion, bacon, a fried egg, pineapple, beetroot, lettuce, tomato sauce, and a
hamburger pattie all crammed precariously into a bun.

Drakey... finally in the city that invented pie floaters...