[Sca-cooks] Period or no?

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Fri Sep 24 07:21:26 PDT 2004

>>If I give you some basic instructions for a modern hamburger, Take a
>>bread roll. Slice it and put inside a patty of grilled, ground meat. Top
>>with some cheese and lettuce and feel free to make changes to suit your taste.
>>
>>Now, an Australian may likely add a slice of beetroot. But an American is
>>unlike to ever consider doing that. Does the beetroot taste good on a
>>hamburger? Maybe. I'm reserving judgment.
>
>I've never tried it in that context, but I figure it's just another
>pickle. Some people might not even notice, if they weren't so busy
>enjoying the culture shock aspect.
>
>>  But apparently the Australians think it does.
>
>And/or perhaps developed this tradition when cucumber pickles were scarce,
>for whatever reason.

This is actually yet another example of cultural assumptions; I've known
about the Australian addition of beetroot to hamburgers for a long time,
but never seen it myself.  It had never occurred to me that the beets might
be pickled (most uses I make of beets aren't).  Does anybody actually know
from experience that they are (or aren't)?  Why not roasted/grilled like
the meat patty?

Sandra