[Sca-cooks] sugarpaste recipe was:Period or no? - Long analysis *G*

Robert Downie rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca
Sat Sep 25 11:25:05 PDT 2004

drakey2 at iinet.net.au wrote:

> pps.. Need to make sugar plate (for an edible decorated plate) and the lovely
> person I knew who had a good recipe has buggered off to geneva with her
> cookbooks...  Does anyone have a good one that involves making the 'gloop'
> (usually from Gum Trag or Gelatin) where you take a pea sized bit of it and
> slowing working the confectioners sugar in?

Peter Brears' recipe in Banquetting Stuffe :

To make the paste, take:
half tsp. (2.5 ml) gelatine
1 tsp. (5 ml) lemon juice
2 tsp. (10 ml) rosewater
half egg white, lightly beaten
12-16 oz (250-450 g) icing sugar (my note: modern icing sugar contains cornstarch
filler, however this seems to add in the stabilization of the structure)
a few drops of food coloring if required

‘Stir the gelatin into the lemon juice and rosewater in a basin and place over a
bowl of hot water until melted.  Stir in the egg white, add food coloring and work
in the icing sugar, little by little, until a dough is formed.  It can then be
turned out on a board dusted with icing sugar, kneaded until completely smooth,
rolled out, and used as required.’

I'm having mail issues right now, so we'll see if this works
Faerisa