[Sca-cooks] turnips

caointiarn caointiarn1 at juno.com
Mon Sep 27 14:43:28 PDT 2004

> turnips!
> now properly made "Armored Turnips" is very good eating, but it depends on
youngish turnips, nice and tender  pre cooking them well and the right
cheese  and NO ONE uses the same cheese, as far as i can tell!  so, what
cheeses do you use in your armored turnips? and *where* do you get
> your turnips> Kirsten Houseknecht
> Fabric Dragon

    Haven't done armored turnips for a feast,  I generally save them for
when I am passing out recipes for a "beginner cook"  / potluck sort of
thing.   However, I generally buy them at  the nearby store  -- they are
usually available at a decent price.  I have found that using a touch of
sugar in the boiling water {instead of salt} helps with the bitterness.

I use a mild/ bland white cheese  -- muenster being a favorite

Caointiarn