[Sca-cooks] turnips

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Sep 27 15:03:33 PDT 2004

In a message dated 9/27/2004 5:56:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
caointiarn1 at juno.com writes:

<<However, I generally buy them at  the nearby store  -- they are
usually available at a decent price.  I have found that using a touch of
sugar in the boiling water {instead of salt} helps with the bitterness.>>

I also buy mine at the local grocery or occasionally the farmer's market.
Using smaller ones helps with the bitterness issue, as does parboiling them,
draining off the original boiling water, rinsing, and finishing the boiling in
fresh water.

<<I use a mild/ bland white cheese  -- muenster being a favorite>>

Mild cheddar or a mix of cheddar and mozarella - I like the combination with
the sweet spices.

Brangwayna