[Sca-cooks] diabetes and beets?

Jane Boyko jboyko at magma.ca
Mon Sep 27 19:38:22 PDT 2004

Thanks for sharing all of this.

I am on Dr. Bernstien's diet and was puzzled as to why beet leaves were
allowed but beets weren't.  I had assumed it was because of the sugar.  I
never realized that they had starch.

Mind you the only way I will eat beets is cooked in a borscht so right now it
is not a huge loss to me.  Never did acquire a taste for them the way my
mother cooked or pickled them.

Marina