[Sca-cooks] So what's new was Period or no? Beets

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 27 21:33:57 PDT 2004

Johnna Holloway wrote:
>I just couldn't believe that the list was back to beets and leaves again.
>  Pumpkins maybe-- it's that season or even favorite apple recipes.
>
>  So what are folks doing with their next feasts or projects?

Well, i haven't head cooked any feasts for a year, although i've
assisted at a couple. And there are a couple more this year with
which i may help.

As far as projects:
I counted all the spices, herbs, sweeteners, souring agents, murri,
etc. in both al-Baghdadi and the Andalusian cookbook (although i
skipped the sweets, since that would skew the information), then i
put the data in tables, and did a little comparison.

I had done most of the al-Baghdadi/Andalusian count at the end of
last year/beginning of this, but most of the data was lost in a
catastrophic hard drive crash at the end of February, so i pretty
much had to start over.

I've even got it HTML'ed, but i haven't loaded the three pages up to
my site yet. I felt that perhaps my analysis was limited (maybe i
wasn't seeing things that were there), and i wanted some other input
from people more used to data analysis. So I showed it it "my Laurel"
(a Ph.D. in Linguistics who is a fabulous researcher and who likes
counting and compiling data), and she thought i'd done ok - asked the
right questions...

I guess i should load it up and ask listees here to comment on it...

I am also thinking of going through al-Baghdadi and the Andalusian to
note the spices used to season particular main ingredients to see if
there's more or less generic or random seasoning, or it there are
particular combinations that are used with lamb as opposed to other
combinations used with fowl... This will take a lot longer to
compile, but i'll probably get around to it. Since the Andalusian is
compiled from a number of other books, which appear to be lost now, i
expect some inconsistency.

So, if folks are interested in what i've done so far, let me know,
and i'll put it on my site and send the URLs to this list...

Anahita