[Sca-cooks] turnips

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 05:57:33 PDT 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:46:45 -0400, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius
<adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
> Do we still need, with the preponderance of North American
> English-speakers on this list, to be discussing the difference
> between yellow turnips, which are rutabagas and not turnips per se,
> and actual turnips? I become alarmed when I hear people discussing
> the bitterness of turnips, and have visions of people hopping their
> beer with cabbage... I can only hope the cabbage is blanched, first,
> cut down on the bitterness...

You sure it wasn't deer poop and not cabbage?    I would think that
would bitter some beer fast.

I went to visit my aunt a while back and she was complaining about
the hard waxy bitter turnips they had at the store.  I had to explain to
her that they weren't turnips, but the dreaded rutabaga.

> They're good in stews (especially lamb), and are excellent boiled
> with a piece of what people in the British Isles call "bacon", which
> is more like what Americans might call lean salt pork. I could easily
> imagine them being good in a clear, Chinese soup, using turnips
> instead of icicle radish, cooked in clear chicken stock, with a few
> black mushrooms, maybe some shredded Smithfield Ham tossed in as a
> garnish at the end, and maybe a few cilantro leaves.

You could use sunchokes with that too.  Or Chayote......

I get these really nice hamhocks from the local carniceria.....*ponders*

Cadoc