[Sca-cooks] Success!!!!

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 18:10:24 PDT 2004

Some while ago, I wrote asking for help with
soggy pie crusts for fruit pies.  I tried most of
your suggestions with little improvement.
However ...

On Monday, when I was putting away groceries in
the freezer, I accidently knocked down a
container of fresh frozen apricots that I had put
into those disposable containers that you can buy
from the grocery store.  The fall damaged the
container, so I allowed the contents to thaw with
the idea of making an apricot pie.  When I froze
the apricots, all that I put in the container
were apricots and a small amount of sugar.  When
the package completely thawed, I had a lot of
soupy apricots and I didn't want to make yet
another pie in with the top crust was perfectly
baked, but the bottom was soggy.  And I didn't
want to throw out all the apricotty liquid.
Here is what I did:

I made the pie crust and placed it in the piepan.
I then sprinkled on a layer of tapioca onto the
crust.  I then poured the soupy apricots on top
of the tapioca.  I dabbed some butter on top of
the apricots and then sprinkled another layer of
tapioca.  I then placed the top crust over
everything and crimped the edges.  After baking
and cooling the pie, I place it in the
refrigerator to get cold. When it came time to
serve the pie, all crusts were flaky and
non-soggy.  The filling was thick, sweet and
very apricotty.  It was a complete success!
So tapioca is my friend from now on.  I just
wish it was period.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.