[Sca-cooks] Barm Brack

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Sep 28 23:00:25 PDT 2004

Morgana replied to me with her Barm Brack recipe:
> OK, here's the recipe, liberated from Nick Malgieri's "How to Bake"
Thanks, Morgana. It sound interesting.

However, I have one question:
> dough:
> 1 1/2 c raisins
> 1 c candied lemon peel
> 6 Tbl unsalted butter
> 1/3 c sugar
> 1 tsp salt
> 1/2 tsp cinnamon
> 1/4 tsp nutmeg
> 1/4 tsp cloves
> 2 eggs
> 3 c flour
>
> Soften the raisins and peel in warm water and drain thoroughly.
Huh? *Peel* the raisins?

How do you do this? It seems like it would be difficult and/or after
the skin is removed, that there wouldn't be much left.

I have peeled grapes before, but this seems more difficult since the
insides wouldn't be as firm as for a grape and would seem likely to
stick to the skin. But I've never even thought of this before, much
less tried it. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Maybe you can just squirt the insides out?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com