[Sca-cooks] A question or two...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Sep 29 22:22:40 PDT 2004

   David of Caithness asked:
> What was sour cream called in period? Was it used much? In what ways
> principly?
>
> When did the use of cow's milk (and cream) become common in cooking?
As others have mentioned (thanks, folks), you might want to look at
this file in the FOOD section of the Florilegium:
dairy-prod-msg    (80K) 10/ 4/01    Dairy products. milk, butter,
curds, cream.

There is also this file:
clotted-cream-msg (28K) 10/ 4/01    Clotted cream products. Devonshire
cream.

I do have some additional info to add to both of these files. Let me
know and I'll send that to you, or go ahead and get these files updated
and uploaded.

And there are a number of files on period cheese and cheese making and
this one on butter:
butter-msg       (130K)  9/ 9/04    Period butter. Making butter.
Butter churns.

All of these files are in the FOOD section.

Use of cow's milk and other milks goes back to ancient times. For
instance, in the BEVERAGES section, there is this file:
kumiss-msg        (41K)  7/ 4/04    Mongol drink made from mare's milk.

And check out this file in the FOOD-BY-REGION section for some info on
sour butter and on storing food in soured/fermented whey.
fd-Iceland-msg    (84K)  1/15/03    Food of medieval Iceland. Recipes.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com