[Sca-cooks] OT exploding brussel sprouts

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Sep 29 22:29:05 PDT 2004

'Lainie commented:
> At 08:41 PM 9/28/2004, you wrote:
> > I would assume these are retaining moisture which is explosively
> > turning
> > to steam. Have you tried poking a few tiny holes in them before
> > microwaving them?
>
> I was always taught that you take a small knife, like a paring knife,
> and
> stab it into the stem end twice, making an X. I suppose it releases the
> moisture and allows the middle to cook more evenly.
Oh! Like I've heard you are supposed to do to chestnuts before roasting
them. Probably for the same reason. And there the 'X' becomes part of
the decoration. I guess the same would be true for Brussels sprouts. I
was recommending small holes for appearance sake, but those might not
be enough.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas