[Sca-cooks] vanilla (was chocolate)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 5 23:24:51 PDT 2005

Gianotta mentioned:
> The Spanish ruled Sicily in the 16th
> century; I found references to chocolate being brought to Sicily not
> too long after 1528, at least according to the food writer Faith
> Willinger, who says that chocolate began appearing in Sicilian dishes
> at that time. Faith Willlinger also says in the 18th century in Modica,
> there was a type of entrepreneu called a "ciucculattaru, a
> professional cocoa-bean processor who schlepped his stone tools,
> preroasted beans, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon door-to-door.

Hmmm. Besides the chocolate, if you can verify this comment about
vanilla being sold door-to-door, I think that would be of interest as
well. It is rememberance that we don't have any evidence of the use of
vanilla in Europe prior to 1600 with the possible use, though maybe
questionable, in Spain. So evidence of its use outside of Spain would
be of particular interest.

vanilla-msg       (17K)  9/19/04    The vanilla bean in late-period
Europe.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/vanilla-msg.html

Stefan
--------