[Sca-cooks] A salad question- OOP

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Apr 8 16:51:41 PDT 2005

One of my favorite summer salads is a simple mix of sliced onions (usually
red, for color), cucumbers, and tomatoes, dressed in vinegar, and maybe some
fresh or dried herbs, depending on my mood and what's available. Originally,
I discovered the salad was made with plain cider vinegar, then later,
discovered I liked it better with a red wine vinegar, and best with balsamic
vinegar. While it's OK just tossed, it's really best being marinated in the
refrigerator for a few hours or overnight, and here's where the difficulty
comes.

While it looks good and tastes OK with the red wine vinegar, its taste is
really superior, and the looks are pretty bad with the balsamic vinegar,
since all the balsamic I've found is brown. Anybody have any suggestions for
a vinegar that might provide the richness and sweetness of flavor of the
balsamic, while still allowing the brightness of color from less dark
vinegars to shine through? If I'm feeding just me, I don't really care what
it looks like, I'm interested in the flavor, but when cooking for other
people, particularly those less familiar with my cooking, I'd really like it
to look as good as it tastes.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.