[Sca-cooks] A salad question- OOP

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Apr 8 17:16:09 PDT 2005

Also sprach Phlip:
>While it looks good and tastes OK with the red wine vinegar, its taste is
>really superior, and the looks are pretty bad with the balsamic vinegar,
>since all the balsamic I've found is brown. Anybody have any suggestions for
>a vinegar that might provide the richness and sweetness of flavor of the
>balsamic, while still allowing the brightness of color from less dark
>vinegars to shine through? If I'm feeding just me, I don't really care what
>it looks like, I'm interested in the flavor, but when cooking for other
>people, particularly those less familiar with my cooking, I'd really like it
>to look as good as it tastes.

I love sherry vinegar for things like this. It's not as sweet as
balsamic, but sweeter than red wine vinegar, and lightly colored, but
not as dark and thick as balsamic.

And it seems somehow to go well with a so inherently Spanish a salad mixture...

Adamantius (just finishing up a chopped salad of cukes, carrot,
celery and coarse-cut flat parsley)

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04