[Sca-cooks] medieval forestry

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 12 23:48:25 PDT 2005

'Lainie gave a wonderful overview of medieval English forestry law:
> That of course is much dependent on where and when. Was reading
> recently
> about the great famine in the early 14th century, and animal life fared
> little better than humans, at least in England. Most of what we know
> about
> forest laws are English, so here's a bit of Anglo-centric stuff...
>
> It should be remembered that many of these were _managed_ forests, not
> the
> wild 'woods' that we played in as kids (at least I did- back in the
> days
> when it was ok to play cowboys and Indians). The boundaries of the
> Forest
> may acually embrace cultivated land, even homesteads and small
> townships.

<snip>

Thank you! Up until now I had only a little bit on the forest laws,
even though their effects can be seen in many places, especially in
England.
forestry-msg      (12K) 10/25/01    Medieval forestry.

I really do need to get around to creating and posting a "requested
articles list" for the Florilegium.

> Ooh! The rain has stopped (briefly)! I've got to run to the library
> while I can- otherwise I'll need snorkel and find to get home...

boat-building-msg (40K)  9/ 6/01    Building boats using medieval
techniques.
:-)

Stefan
--------