[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 23, Issue 35

SEBD at aol.com SEBD at aol.com
Wed Apr 13 03:22:53 PDT 2005

In a message dated 4/12/05 8:53:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org writes:

Yes, that  was mine.  The one problem with an event like Emmaus Fair is that
one  cannot simultaneously sit with one's display AND go viewing other
people's  work.  I left my horseradish unattended for a good long while, because
there were so many interesting things to admire and interesting people to talk
to.   I knew the boiling and soaking would remove heat from the  horseradish,
and that was evidently the intent of the recipe.   Horseradish grows fairly
enthusiastically, and how much of it can one use as a  condiment, after all?

There certainly was a goodly assortment of people with whom to talk!

Our near ancestors, the Victorians, used to use horseradish as an  ornamental
border plant on their front walks.

A little  goes a long way. Every now and then I stare at the bottle of
prepared  horseradish and ask, "Hmmm. How long have I had you?" Somehow, I never
throw it  out, but I can't quite bring myself to use it, either. If it changes
color, it's  leaving home.

Elianne