[Sca-cooks] medieval forestry

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Thu Apr 14 02:56:59 PDT 2005

At 09:43 PM 4/13/2005, Sue Clemenger wrote:
>Rain shadow? I'm slow enough tonight that I'm not catching your meaning,
>unless you're asking if we're currently getting the same rain that's
>wetting on you, in which case, the answer would be "yes."

'Rain shadow' is one of those kinda meterological, kinda geographical
terms. I remember it from like 6th grade (*koff* er, Ford Administration)
social studies. It happens when you have a ridge of mountains, like the
Cascades. Rains come in from the Pacific, dump water on the west side of
the mountains, then bump over the ridge and to the east. There's something
of a dry spot between where they cross the mountains, and where they get up
the gumption to make rain again. That dry slot is on the east side of the
Cascades, and that phenom is called a rain shadow. There's a cute little
graphic with what is probably a better explanation at :
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/tg/wrnshdw/wrnshdw.htm

>Somehow, though, what your question provoked was a looped tape in my brain
>of Cat Stevens singing: "I'm being followed by a moon shadow, moon shadow,
>moon shadow....Leaping and hopping...."
>--maire, who always did like that song...

I like 'Morning Has Broken'

Oh, I should have been in bed hours ago...

'Lainie