[Sca-cooks] period food adulteration

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 13 14:12:37 PDT 2005

  William de Grandfort said:
> These are just a few of the food adulteration sections from JDV's text
> 'Apicius: Cookery and
> Dining in Imperial Rome', which may lend a bit of credence to the idea
> that, yes, bad food was
> commonly made 'good' during our period of study.  And, while Apicius
> pre-dates the medieval period
> precisely, it is at the very least a starting point for the researcher.
>
> I will add to these as I pull books out of storage.  Apicius was the
> only book I brought with me when I moved to Las Vegas last month :)

Thank you! I'd appreciate getting more of these as you have the time
and come across them. I believe I added the one you (or someone else)
mentioned earlier to my rotten-meat-msg file since that dealt more with
meat. Some of these are more general and I think they would be nice to
have in the Florilegium for more reasons than just the current
discussion. (What? the Florilegium have out of the ordinary stuff about
the Middle Ages? :-) )

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas