[Sca-cooks] Differing translations of Apicius

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 13 21:03:16 PDT 2005

Mordonna asked:
> My question to you is why on earth, with a lot of good authors out
> there, you would choose Vehling as worth saving?  He'd be the first I
> threw on the discard file.

Well, you work with what you have. Vehling may or may not be a good
translation for these examples. I can't right now remember the strong
and weak points of the various translations of Apicius we have
discussed. Even knowing that Vehling sometimes makes errors in his
translations doesn't mean his translation in this case should be
uncritically discarded (or used). At this time, I have saved the
message on the food adultering for a new Florilegium file.

I think though, that it would be very nice to have these same sections
quoted from another of the Apicius translators. We are arguing about
Vehling's quality of translation yet no one has looked up and posted,
as far as I've seen so far, anybody else's translations of these same
sections. For all we know right now, these other translators may say
essentially the same thing. William did, at least, take the time to
look up and post those sections. And I thank him for it. It at least
gives other researchers a start on where to look.

I am debating changing the name of the new Florilegium file from p-food
"adultering" or "adulteration" to perhaps "fixing" or some such. I
thought adulteration was deliberately injecting in some non-food item
as a filler or some such. Not injecting something to improve the taste
of a food item. I'm also not at all sure these fixes are dealing with
"rotten" food, as much as food that has "gone off slightly" or is "off
tasting". Not the same thing. But I have a different file for the pros
and cons of the "They used spices to cover up the taste of rotten food
in the Middle Ages" myth. (rotten-meat-msg) This one is more on
fixing/altering the taste of off-tasting foods, for whatever reason,
and how they did this in period.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas