[Sca-cooks] Differing translations of Apicius

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 23:54:31 PDT 2005

It didn't so much floor me that the Vehling translation was the only Apicius he took with him as that it was the only cook book he took with him.  When I moved from Arizona to Alabama, I had to cut my book collection to about a tenth of what I had.  The Vehling came with me, along with all my other Medieval authors.  What I sent to the yard sale were my fiction, and most of my modern cookbooks.
And, if I am not mistaken, His Grace did post the relevant Flowers and Rosenbaum sections.

Mordonna

Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
Mordonna asked:
> My question to you is why on earth, with a lot of good authors out
> there, you would choose Vehling as worth saving? He'd be the first I
> threw on the discard file.

Well, you work with what you have. Vehling may or may not be a good
translation for these examples. I can't right now remember the strong
and weak points of the various translations of Apicius we have
discussed. Even knowing that Vehling sometimes makes errors in his
translations doesn't mean his translation in this case should be
uncritically discarded (or used). At this time, I have saved the
message on the food adultering for a new Florilegium file.

I think though, that it would be very nice to have these same sections
quoted from another of the Apicius translators. We are arguing about
Vehling's quality of translation yet no one has looked up and posted,
as far as I've seen so far, anybody else's translations of these same
sections.

Pat Griffin
Lady Anne du Bosc
known as Mordonna the Cook