[Sca-cooks] Differing translations of Apicius

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Apr 14 00:00:24 PDT 2005

>I think though, that it would be very nice to have these same
>sections quoted from another of the Apicius translators. We are
>arguing about Vehling's quality of translation yet no one has looked
>up and posted, as far as I've seen so far, anybody else's
>translations of these same sections.

I did so in a post yesterday.

In one case, the "odor" is an invention of Vehling's. The only one
that's clearly about fixing food that has gone bad is the honey
quote, although the liquamen one could be about that. Vehling has
been discussed here before--his "translation" really is close to
worthless, since he puts in things that aren't there, and his
redactions are perhaps worse.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com