[Sca-cooks] Re: Rotten meat

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Thu Apr 14 07:33:38 PDT 2005

        One thing I think has been overlooked. A person may use a strong
flavor to recover meat that is a little bit off.  My own dear mother, who wanted
more than anything to be a MODERN AMERICAN, on occasion might soak a chicken in
vinegar if it was teensy bit smelly. This is obviously something people may
do.
     What I think we are objecting to is the concept that ALL meat in the
Middle Ages was consumed rotten, with a covering-up of spices. At all times,
always, everyone (all social classes) ONLY ate rotten meat. Not that once in a
while someone might attempt to rescue slightly gone meat, but that NO ONE ever
ate meat that wasn't rotten.  Right in there with the 'all medieval food tasted
dreadful' idea.
     And yes, a great deal of this can be traced to the Victorian period,
IMO, with their much lesser use of interesting spices. And of course Mr Drummon,
in his 1939 book.
     Seems like we can't believe that people in the past could do anything
without our modern miracle technology.  How COULD they have raised Stonehenge
without cranes and derricks and steam engines?
     Devra

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com
devra at aol.com