[Sca-cooks] "Custard" Crust?

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Thu Apr 14 19:55:10 PDT 2005

>I just saw a factoid on "Good Eats" that said before 1600, the word
>"custard" refered to the crust and not the filling.  I've never seen this,
>does anybody recognize this referenc?

According to the webster's colliegiate on my des here, the word is derived from Middle English "Croustade" or Pie crust.
as for WHEN the meaning changes?

I can't offer a clue

Capt Elias
-Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

- Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
There are SO damn many more things I want to try in the SCA than I can possibly have time for. It's killing me!!!

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
wood, divide the work, and give orders.  Instead, teach them
to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
  - Antoine de Saint Exupery