[Sca-cooks] Another 14th c. Cairene Lenten Dish

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 14 20:28:59 PDT 2005

>I think I missed something.  Which 14th Century Cairene (Cairo?) coobook?
>
>Huette

Back before Easter, when some of us were eating Medieval Lenten food,
i mentioned i'd found a chapter in The Book of the Description of
Familiar Food with a section on what monks and Christians eat in
Lent. I think i posted some info about what i made and ate. (did i
post my West Kingdom Wooden Spoon cooking competition winning (it was
a tie, me and Wulfric, a baking Laurel who made really cook marzipan
"bacon", from a period recipe) recipes for Maghmuma and Flavored
Cabbage?)

Well, this is another of those recipes. This cookbook is known to
exist in two copies, the earlier written in 14th century Cairo, and
was translated by Charles Perry and published in "Medieval Arab
Cookery".

And, yes, Cairene is the adjectival form of Cairo :-)

>--- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>  > Yeah, yeah, it's well past Lent, but i had this can of cooked dried
>  > favas, and a couple Lenten fava recipes from that 14th C. Cairene
>  > cookbook... so Tuesday i had a Tharida of favas for lunch...
>  >
>  > As for Thurda
>  > Boil peeled fava beans with a little salt until they are done. Cut up
>  > the tharid (crumbled bread) and throw cumin and sumac leaves (?) on
>  > it and lemon juice, walnuts, and sour whey or yogurt, or clarified
>  > butter, or olive oil and sesame oil, and soak it with the fava bean
>  > water and serve.

Two things: the recipe above is the original, as translated by
Charles Perry. I neglected to make that clear. Also, the text in
(parentheses) was put there by Perry. When i made it, i chose to use
sumac, since that might have been what was meant, and, besides, i
have no access to sumac leaves.

Urtatim, formerly Anahita
--
"The truth must be taken wherever it is to be found,
whether it be in the past or among strange peoples."