[Sca-cooks] grapes for verjuice

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Apr 15 20:30:32 PDT 2005

Maire commented:
> P.S. I actually have obligatory food content! My neighbor on the corner
> was taking advantage of a break in the clouds yesterday to mow his
> lawn,
> and I stopped to talk and be neighborly.  I've been eye-balling his
> grape vines for two years now (he has them growing all over and through
> the chain-link fence around his yard).  He said I could help myself to
> grapes.  Hallelujah, I have a source for grapes to make verjuice! Now
> if
> I can only find out how relatively ripe/unripe they should actually be.

What types of grapes are these? Are they Concord grapes or a variety
which came from Europe?

Well, if the yield is high enough, you might try picking some at
different times, processing them, and seeing which batch you like
better. I'm not sure how consistent you can be from year to year,
simply because of  yearly variations but you should be able to develop
an idea for you, of when you think the grapes are ready to be used. Or
if, as I think was done, verjuice was made from the grapes culled from
the vines throughout the season, maybe the exact timing isn't that
important.

You might also want to look at some of the previous discussions and
information on verjuice in this Florilegium file in the FOOD section:
verjuice-msg     (101K) 12/15/04    Medieval verjuice. Modern
substitutions.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/verjuice-msg.html

There is also this file. Perhaps something in it might also be of use:
grapes-msg        (32K)  9/10/01    Period grapes, raisins and currants.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/grapes-msg.html

Good luck. I'd like to hear reports on how this progresses.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com