[Sca-cooks] grapes for verjuice

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Apr 17 19:58:49 PDT 2005

I don't know what kind they are, Stefan.  They do turn purple when ripe,
so they're not a red or white grape, although they don't look like
Concords.  I'm not exactly sure what grows up here--our winters are a
bit dicey for grape vine survival.
If they were my grapes, I'd probably do just about what you suggested,
and try a batch at different times of year, but they're not, and I think
my neighbor's going to be awfully nice just to let me do one batch.
What I'll probably try, is tasting a grape once a week, until they seem
to have sufficient juice but are still tart.
I'd like to make a bunch of it, although I'm not exactly sure how to
preserve it once it's made--put it in bottles and freeze it, maybe.
It'd be nice to have for general recipes, but I've also got some
mustardy uses in mind. ;o)
--maire