[Sca-cooks] grapes for verjuice

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Apr 18 22:49:36 PDT 2005

Maire replied to me with:
> What I'll probably try, is tasting a grape once a week, until they seem
> to have sufficient juice but are still tart.

Yes, that sounds good then. I don't know if the grapes are going to get
more or less tart or stay the same after they are processed. But I
guess they way you can find out and change things next time.

> I'd like to make a bunch of it, although I'm not exactly sure how to
> preserve it once it's made--put it in bottles and freeze it, maybe.
> It'd be nice to have for general recipes, but I've also got some
> mustardy uses in mind. ;o)

But does verjuice need to be preserved? It seems to show up in an awful
lot in medieval recipes to only be available for a few weeks during the
year. Perhaps the fact that it is sour keeps it from going bad? Or does
it actually ferment enough that the alcohol acts as a preservative? So,
perhaps if it is made correctly you don't have to worry about doing
something special to preserve it.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas