[Sca-cooks] cooking grains in beer

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Apr 15 23:23:29 PDT 2005

We have talked previously about cooking various items in beer and ale
and discussed various period recipes which do this. Some are in this
file:
beer-in-food-msg  (24K)  9/ 7/04    Period recipes with beer or ale in
them.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/beer-in-food-msg.html

Yesterday, I was making up some rice to use with some Gumbo which my
wife brought home from her mother's. I decided to cook it in a
previously opened bottle of beer (Guiness, I think) with some water to
finish filling up the pot. Anyway, it came out fairly good, although
not as flavored or as dark as I expected it might get.

So, I'm wondering if there are any period recipes which cook a grain in
beer or ale. The recipes given in the above file are mostly for cooking
things like chicken in beer and there aren't any grains. But my files
are hardly comprehensive collections.

Stefan
(I also found out that if you aren't careful, beer can quickly boil
over as can honey. Luckily it makes less mess)
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com