[Sca-cooks] Apicius birds stuff with olives

smcclune at earthlink.net smcclune at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 19 09:03:36 PDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>

Yes, if I can come up with evidence that it is likely a processed olive
which is meant. I may find though,  that stuffing the chicken with
olives has little effect upon the chicken, no matter what type of olive
is used. :-)
<<<

Well, at the last CookCon, we served this dish.  Yes, we used processed olives, because that was what we could get.  However, we did choose the Mediterranean style olives (Kalamata, etc.) rather than the California olives-in-a-can, because we felt that was the best choice we could make given the options available.

The olives gave the chicken a wonderful flavor, and the salt from them seasoned the birds nicely.  I would imagine that raw, unprocessed olives would have a different effect entirely, but our results were very satisfactory.

Perhaps the olives are removed after cooking because the olives are the
unprocessed and inedible. Actually leaving the olives in the chicken is
cooked and serving them that way sounds like it might be rather good,
at least for processed olives. Especially with some added cheese. But
maybe the roasting juices do something to the olives which makes it
better to remove them.
<<<

We sampled some before deciding to leave them in, since they were, in fact, quite tasty.  Again, I would imagine that raw, unprocessed olives might well produce a different result.

But since you were speculating about how the recipe might come out if processed olives were used, I thought I'd provide the data I had available.

Arwen
Caerthe, Outlands
(Denver, CO)