[Sca-cooks] "Stillroom"

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 16 04:55:56 PDT 2005

We are discussing creating a new A&S category to pick up things like
rosewater, cordials, infused oils and vinegars, and dried herb mixtures.  I
suggested that things like soapmaking, recipes using soap like the Cleansing
Ball recipe out of Digby, health and beauty aids such as the wash to remove
pimples (corns) and rinses for the hair, and possibly cosmetics should also
be added.  The term "Stillroom Arts" was suggested as the category name, and
someone asked where the term came from (not a cook ;).  I thought it would
be a simple thing to toss the answer back out, but as it turns out, it
isn't.  This is what I've come up with this morning between my OED and
Google, can anyone help me out with an actual period quote using the term?
(Jadwiga, I've been to your site already this morning :)
Christianna

>From the OED:
	Stillroom: 1710. a.Hist. Orig., a room in a house which a still was kept
for the distillation of perfumes and cordials.  b. Later, a room in which
preserves, cakes, liqueurs, etc. are kept, and tea, coffee, etc. are
prepared.  "A hundred years ago, every lady in the country had her
still-room." Thackeray.

>From an ad on Amazon:
 The Elizabethan Stillroom was the housekeepers domain, where she distilled
essences and extracted oils form herbs and flowers to flavor her recipes and
made the natural lotions and potions for the household. Elizabethan England
produces genuine stillroom recipes from the sixteenth century, during which
Queen Elizabeth I reigned.

"Knowledge was passed on by word of mouth and usually by the Stillroom Book,
wherein all of the remedies, formulas, types of herbs and their uses,
sicknesses and what was administered and to what effect, were recorded by
the Lady herself or a scribe, for future use."
http://inspie3.home.mindspring.com/

	Hm, but I can't find an actual period reference for the word right off -
the OED date would be the first time it appeared in print, and Thackeray is
writing in the early half of the 19th century.  I'm sure I can track down a
reference from our period, though.
Christianna