[Sca-cooks] Another 14th c. Cairene enten Dish

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Apr 16 21:44:40 PDT 2005

The gentle once known as Anahita mentioned:
> Yeah, yeah, it's well past Lent, but i had this can of cooked dried
> favas, and a couple Lenten fava ecipes from that 14th C. Cairene
> cookbook... so Tuesday i had a Tharida of favas for lunch...

Huh? You've got me a bit confused here by "can of cooked dried favas".
Most canned foods that I can think of are packed in some kind of liquid
but you said these were dried. Are they dried first, and then cooked
and canned with a liquid of some type? Or are they actually dried and
then canned such that they rattle around in the can? I don't
particularly like fava beans so it may be that I simply haven't run
across these packaged this way.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas