[Sca-cooks] Another 14th c. Cairene enten Dish

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 17 10:16:28 PDT 2005

The gentle once known as Anahita mentioned:
>  Yeah, yeah, it's well past Lent, but i had this can of cooked dried
>  favas, and a couple Lenten fava ecipes from that 14th C. Cairene
>  cookbook... so Tuesday i had a Tharida of favas for lunch...

>Huh? You've got me a bit confused here by "can of cooked dried favas".
>Most canned foods that I can think of are packed in some kind of liquid
>but you said these were dried. Are they dried first, and then cooked
>and canned with a liquid of some type?

Sorry for the confusion, Stefan.

I can get fava beans in several forms. Uncooked dried fava beans of
several sizes. Fresh green favas in the pod when they're in season.
And different varieties of cooked fava beans in cans.

Indeed, the beans in the can are soft and packed in the water in
which they were cooked.

My assumption is that they are dried fava beans that have been cooked
and canned, rather than fresh fava beans cooked and canned

(and i was not meaning they were cooked fava beans that had been
dried, rattling around :-)
--
Urtatim, formerly Anahita
that's err-tah-TEEM