[Sca-cooks] Re: poor widow

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Thu Apr 21 07:20:02 PDT 2005

On a slightly different tangent, I was surprised to find that
there was a system set up in the guilds to take care of widows.
One of the streets I saw, I think in Hamburg, was a series of
houses that were used for the widows of a certain type of guild. I
kept meaning to go back and get more information on it because I
think that was the pre-cursor for social security ~grin~. Has
anyone else heard of this? I always thought that widows were left
to fend for themselves until this tour.

Ysabeau