[Sca-cooks] Re: poor widow

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Apr 21 07:29:37 PDT 2005

> On a slightly different tangent, I was surprised to find that
> there was a system set up in the guilds to take care of widows.
> One of the streets I saw, I think in Hamburg, was a series of
> houses that were used for the widows of a certain type of guild. I
> kept meaning to go back and get more information on it because I
> think that was the pre-cursor for social security ~grin~. Has
> anyone else heard of this? I always thought that widows were left
> to fend for themselves until this tour.

There are a number of different setups involving guilds and 'almshouses'
(that's where an older person could get a 'job' where you got your house
and board for free in exchange for praying for the founder of the
house(s) ).

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I don't care what you say / I don't play the same games you play.
...And as for me I can sit here and bide my time
I got nothing to lose if I speak my mind.
I don't care anymore I don't care no more." Phil Collins